Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Humility Unexpected

I think humility is having a great success or triumph and then returning to the grind again, dare I say gracefully.  I remember in the morning my Nana would get up before dawn to prepare her coffee.  She used a perculator.  The sound of this peculiar vessel would seemingly echo quietly through her house.  Sometimes I would get up just to see the coffee bubble through the clear top.   When the coffee was finished she would pour herself a cup; add sugar, powdered creamer, then take a seat at the kitchen table and sip heartily.  Her face seemed to brighten to an almost a pleasuring experience.  My grandmother was a stern, hard working lady who was very feisty.  My mother, younger brother, and I lived with her for awhile.  I couldn't imagine working a full time job, helping raise grandchildren, and having her grown daughter and son return home.   She also helped my auntie take care of my great grandma.  She was very active in many areas of her church as well.   Her great successes were not apparent until now.  She gave until she had no more and in tender moments like the one described above she unknowingly taught me how to take a break.   Now that I am an adult, I can appreciate tender moments of great success.  Still working on returning to the grind with grace.  How about you?  What is your definition of humility?  Please share with us!


No comments:

Post a Comment