Monday, August 24, 2015

Hide and Seek




Sometimes saying Hello is like taking a deep breath and going underwater.  It requires confidence and getting comfortable with yourself.  Recently our family attended our church picnic.  I kept finding my oldest daughter off in a corner of the park almost under a huge pine tree.  Looking around the park I saw a large group of girls were having fun sitting at a big table together.  Oh in that moment how I wanted to take over so one of my precious kiddos wouldn't feel so awkward.   Instead, I went over and gave her a big squeeze.  She smiled at me as I walked away.  Usually it was my oldest son who stands sheepishly away from the group.  I looked to the other side of the park and he was squealing with glee playing with his brother and a group of kids.  I smiled and walked on.  During lunch I sat perched at a picnic table looking out for my brood.  Every so often I would do a count to check where they were.  As I looked to my right a pleasant surprise awaited.  After about 45 minutes of being solo my oldest decided to step out and say hi to an old classmate whom she hadn't seen in a while.  One Hi was all that was needed to spark possibilty.  On my second round to the BBQ she was running, laughing, and playing with everyone.  I exhaled and took a big bite of baked beans.  Happy Monday all, a fresh start to a new week.  Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment